Saturday, May 27, 2017

Surgery Update

Hello Friends!

Thought I should maybe slow down for a second and update everyone regarding my surgery.

May 3rd I had a total hysterectomy, including removing my ovaries.  It was laparoscopic and done same-day.

Many have asked why....so I thought I should explain :)

Ovaries....for treatment.   I had been getting an injection in my belly every 3 months (Zoladex) to suppress my ovaries.  My cancer is Hormone positive, meaning it "feeds" off of estrogen, so getting rid of the estrogen in essence starves the cancer cells.  Ovaries are out....no more icky shots in my belly.  Holy crap it felt like a pellet gun....so long, I won't miss that one bit.

The rest of the surgery was a little my choice and my Doctor's recommendations.  Tamoxifen can cause thickening of the uterine lining....and in turn increase your risk for endometrial cancer.....no thank you.  And honestly I knew it was a pretty straight-forward surgery and I just wanted to take it all out.  Just one more place the cancer can go and hide, so I wanted it gone.

I did ask if I could remove any other unnceccessary organs....but that was a no-go.  I was willing to give up my gallbladder....appendix....etc. :)  Only kidding.  I just kept thinking, well lets get rid of any organs the cancer can spread to.   :)

Recovery is going well.  I unfortunately cannot lift Harrison for 6 weeks, which has been really tough.  As we all know that little boy is on the move ALWAYS, so not being able to run after him and pick him up has been hard.  I also have been incredibly tired, I feel like I could take 4 naps a day.

I am truly thankful for all of the help we have received!  My Mom and Josh's Mom have truly been a God Send.

An update regarding the dreaded C Word.

I am not going to lie, my stomach dropped when I saw my lab results last week.  My tumor markers are on the rise again.  This doesn't always correlate with progression so I am trying not to freak myself out, but there is always that little bit of uncertainty when you get results back that aren't ideal.   After my last infusion (last week) I have also noticed an increase in my right hip and upper back pain.  Once again, hoping that is just a side-effect from my Zometa infusion and not correlated with any type of cancer progression.

Worst case scenario after my scans in June, we see progression and we switch meds.  Fingers crossed the pain isn't a sign of progression and I continue to be stable.

My kiddos still have no idea what is going on....which, honestly I love.  I love being just their Mommy, I love that they don't have to worry yet.  I know we will have to walk down that path eventually, but not now.

I am going to leave you with this.....

My kiddos have been watching Tangled in the car, and there is a part that makes me think every time I hear it.  Flynn is singing to Rapunzel and this is what he says:

All those days chasing down a daydream
All those years living in a blur
All that time never truly seeing
Things, the way they were


It reminds me of my life.  I have truly been blessed with an opportunity to take each moment in.   Whether it is the smile on Carter's face when I pick him up from school, the 900th time that I watch Reese do a cartwheel or the smell of Harrison's hair when I am reading him a book.  All of those moments are what make life .... life.

Goodnight friends, Hope each of you enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend.

xoxo - erin




2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are an amazing example of how to live each day, something I have always aspired to do and have been instilling in Phoebe as well...life goes by in a blink and we should stop and notice everything about it, because we never know when it's our last moment. I love the person you are.

Unknown said...

You have so much you can teach all of us!! What a wonderful outlook on life. You have a heart of gold my dear! Wishing and praying for many healthy days ahead...and restful naps! Love you Erin!!